Polished concrete is a sleek and modern choice of flooring for residential, commercial, and industrial spaces. It’s easier to clean and maintain because of its smooth surface making it a better option to other types of flooring.
The appearance of the polished concrete floor makes it outperform other types of flooring in aesthetics and it works for both commercial and residential environments.
This article is a guide to everything you need to know about concrete flooring. Continue reading to know more:
What is polished concrete?
Polished concrete is made through a grind and seal method and smoothened with abrasives. You can identify polished concrete by its glossy and satin-like finish. Concrete surfaces are refined with the use of grinding tools and abrasives to make the surface resist scratches and reflect light naturally. During the process of polishing the concrete, a penetrant chemical called the densifier or hardener is used on the hard surface. Its function is to make the surface water-resistant and reduce aeration holes in concrete.
How much does polished concrete flooring cost?
The price of polished concrete varies according to the type you want to use; a basic polished concrete floor finish costs $3 to $12 per square foot. For this type of polish finish, the surface is polished to a moderate finish and it doesn’t require too much preparation.
A mid-range finish cost $5 to $8 per square foot.
And a high-end finish costs $8 to $12 per square foot.
Different factors determine the cost of polishing concrete. They include:
- Gloss or shine level: The glossier the surface, the more polishing required which means more money.
- Area: The higher the square footage, the higher the costs.
- The number of rooms: the number of rooms you want to install the polished concrete flooring increases the workload thereby increasing costs.
- Current flooring: if the current flooring needs to be removed to install the polished concrete floor, then the installation price will be increased considering the cost of labor and materials.
- Type of design: the type of design you want affects the price you pay for installation.
How to install polished concrete flooring
A polished concrete floor requires a lot of hands and planning to install. Here’s a detailed step of the installation process:
- Surface preparation: This involves cleaning the surface and getting it ready for resurfacing or polishing.
- Polishing: polishing is used if you already have a concrete floor; you’ll use a grinder to remove any scratches or protrusions on the concrete surface.
- Sealing: you clean the floor using a non-abrasive cloth after the floor is polished. Then you apply a sealer to protect the surface and increase its durability.
These are the process involved in installing a polished concrete floor. Ensure you hire a professional contractor to take on the task for the perfect finish.
How to maintain polished concrete flooring
Though polished concrete floors last longer than other flooring options, they don’t require too much maintenance to increase their longevity. However, they must be cleaned regularly to reduce dirt and grime that can affect the surface.
Maintenance depends on the traffic experience on the floor. The frequency of maintenance will be more in a commercial setting than in a residential setting.
To maintain a polished concrete floor, you use a microfiber pad to remove dirt from the floor. Then use a wet mop to clean small areas. And use a non-abrasive pad for areas with large square footage.
The moment you notice a spill on the finished surface, you should clean it immediately after to prevent them from being soaked into the surface. During the cleaning process, ensure the cleaning solution doesn’t get dried on the concrete surface.
Through this article, you’ve been able to understand the cost, installation process, and maintenance of a polished concrete floor. Polished floors are very aesthetically appealing plus they come in different designs. This is why they’re able to outperform other flooring options. They’re also very durable compared to other flooring options.
If you’re looking to install interior concrete floors Northern IL, it’s best to hire the services of a professional to ensure your project is done perfectly. You’d also save time and money as these types of interior floors may be too difficult to install on your own. At Acme Concrete, we help our customers install their polished concrete floors to a perfect finish. Contact us today to learn more about our services!